Oleksii Romanov is Director of IMEPOWER advisory practice focusing on financial, economic and regulatory aspects of the operations of electricity, gas and district heating companies, functioning of electricity market, tariff setting and settlement systems, due diligence and valuation of energy/utility companies, preparation of feasibility studies, financial modelling. He prepared numerous energy sector/market studies for international investors and analyzed various investment opportunities in Ukraine and CIS countries. Oleksii participated in screening 200+ and due diligence of 30+ renewable projects (wind, solar, small hydro, biomass, biogas, landfill gas) in the framework of EBRD’s USELF I and II programs resulting in 14 loan agreements signed between EBRD and project sponsors. Oleksiy has excellent knowledge of the energy regulatory framework and was involved in several projects dealing with synchronization of the Ukrainian power system with the ENTSO-E and harmonization of the Ukrainian legislation with the requirements of the EU Directives and Acquis Communitaire. He was also involved for several years in the independent audit of the Wholesale Electricity Market settlement system and operations.
Oleksiy participated in due diligence of 20+ district heating companies in the framework of respective feasibility studies prepared for the EBRD, World Bank, NEFCO and Nordic Investment Bank. In all these projects he performed the analysis of financial, economic, regulatory, market and institutional aspects, prepared tariff affordability studies, financial models of companies and cities, provided recommendations on optimizing tariff setting system and contractual system (including public service agreements).
• Acting as Senior Financial Expert preparing feasibility studies for NEFCO on energy efficiency improvements in public buildings in the Cities of Chernivtsi, Ivano-Frankivsk and Irpin
• Advising Japanese investors on economic and regulatory aspects of assessment of investment opportunities in Ukraine related to the construction of wind power plants
• Advising Korean investors on economic and financial aspects of construction of 700 MW Combined Heat Power Plant in Crimea
• Participation as Senior Regulatory Expert in EU-funded project Budget Support to Ukraine’s Energy Strategy Implementation
• Performing financial due diligence of Ekibaztus-1 Thermal Power Plant in Kazakhstan